Apply to this program through a central application. Review the sections below before you begin.
Advanced study in Visual Arts and Design with an emphasis placed on the student’s individual research. The curriculum is specifically designed to be flexible to meet the individual research needs within contemporary, traditional and interdisciplinary approaches and media. The Department of Art and Design offers a wide range of facilities including graduate studios.
A variety of students with differing backgrounds and research interests is considered an important factor in the development of a scholarship community with an interest in developing original research.
Admission requires approval of a departmental entrance committee who will examine the applicant’s potential for further professional success in Visual Art and/or Design and the ability of the department to support the applicant’s stated path of study. For priority consideration deadlines, contact the department office.
Admission to the program is based on the following:
- A bachelor’s degree with extensive preparation in the Visual Arts or Design and at least 9 hours in art history, art theory/criticism, or a related discipline (other options exist, see notation below);
- A completed Missouri State University Graduate Application; and
- The following materials must be submitted:
- portfolio should document a mature body of work presented in an appropriate digital format (pdf is preferred for still images);
- information list for each work in the portfolio including title, dimensions, materials, and year created;
- a 300 to 800-word statement describing the reasons and goals behind the applicant’s interest in graduate study and the direction of intended research;
- at least three letters of recommendation from individuals able to speak of the applicant’s academic achievements and potential;
- a completed Graduate Assistantship Application if prospective student would like to be considered for this award (submitted directly to the Art and Design department).
Applicants will be notified by mail once their application is complete. Students who do not meet requirement 1 listed above, but show high promise, may be admitted conditionally. Conditions for such admission may require additional coursework.